Saturday, May 23, 2015

When news isn't so much Breaking News of note

Couldn't help myself, so I tweeted Rob at The Gazette and asked him about the Breaking News updates that really aren't Breaking News-worthy:

@Gazette_RobJ , is someone there at The Gazette going nuts with the Breaking News updates? Over the past two weeks or so, I've noticed some news items that weren't on the level of true Breaking News in the sense of, "The community MUST know about this NOW because it's unexpected and it'll impact them in a salient way." Example: I sympathize with a dog dying in a house fire (because we own four dogs), but honestly, I don't think that's an event that could qualify as Breaking News that would concern and/or affect the majority of this city's residents or those in the areas surrounding it. However, my condolences DO go to the pet owner. I've lost beloved pets and it's sad. What's your take? If there's a deluge of Breaking News that may not always qualify as such, I think readers will become numb to the announcements.

No comments:

Post a Comment