Monday, July 13, 2015

What's an uncommon disease some women have, but they may never know about? Lipedema. Time to raise awareness!

This is not about writing per se, but the topic is connected. I've been writing about my journey with this disease on my blogs for nearly a year. I may expand those writings into a non-fiction book. Not sure yet.

Anyway, this is important to me, but even MORE important is spreading the word so women who might be affected can seek diagnosis and treatment.

Only 11% of women have this disease, so it's not common; however, for those who have the disease, it can be devastating -- especially to the psyche. That's where it's hurting me the most, in fact. I'm blessed to have a husband who loves me and is with me every step of the way.

I was diagnosed almost a year ago, thanks to Dr. Boyce & Penrose Hospital Rehab Services. Wish it had happened sooner, but I guess I was lucky to get a diagnosis. NOTE: Lipedema is NOT the same as obesity. You can starve yourself and you will still have Lipedema. It's a genetic disease that's incurable.

Without the Affordable Care Act (ACA), I would've probably never gotten diagnosed or been able to receive treatment and info on how to manage this disease. Thanks, Obama!

According to the article mentioned below, "Lipedema is inherited, and puberty, pregnancy and perimenopause exacerbate the process. Treatment is compression therapy and liposuction."

Lipedema cannot be cured by diet or exercise. Symptoms include bruising, tenderness, swelling, and heaviness in the affected limb(s).

In the article, Dr. Mark Smith said, "Most patients don't even know they have lipedema. I have seen women break down in tears once they receive their diagnosis, because their whole lives they've been told they're fat and they're not exercising; not eating right. Meanwhile, they have a condition that's not as simple as diet and exercise."

'Fat Disease' Puzzles Female Sufferers
 video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

No comments:

Post a Comment