Saturday, January 31, 2015

Collecting pipes

This past year I decided to begin collecting pipes. I've always associated pipes and the smell of pipe tobacco with a cozy, grandfatherly feeling. Comfort, safety, trust. These are things I felt when my dad was alive, back as a young girl. I cannot recall if he ever owned a pipe, though. Pretty sure my grandfather did, however.

My dad died before my 7th birthday, but to this day, I think about him often and wonder how life would've been if he'd been in my life those later years. But I digress...

So, pipes. Thus far I have seven of them (if I have counted correctly). Claude, a dear friend of mine of over a decade, upped my collection by gifting me with four pipes for my 50th birthday last month, in December. Was a kick-ass gift, I must say! This is a friend who definitely knows me! Well, as best as you can, anyway.

One of my favorite pipes is the Churchwarden he gave me. I hate to play favorites, but I use this pipe most of the time. Here is a photo of me with it earlier tonight.


Now, I'm a newbie when it comes to all of this. As in, I have hardly any idea about the finer points of collecting pipes or anything related to it. So, feel free to comment with any info, links, tips, or advice you may want to share with me about cool pipes you own or may have seen. I'm open to any and all suggestions. ;-)

Finally, are you a woman who likes pipes, too? If so, let me know that as well. There are quite a few of us out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment