Sunday, April 28, 2013

The most useless customer service e-mail I've ever received (I'm talking to YOU, Barnes & Noble!)

Really, Barnes & Noble?! "We can't comment on this matter"? Why?! If you, the company itself, cannot comment on this matter or do anything about it...then who can? This is the type of stuff I've been dealing with for MONTHS regarding books that I wrote and own ALL the rights to! This has to be the dumbest, most mind-boggling response to a customer service query I've ever received. And then to end with, "We hope you find this information helpful"? Wow. I don't even know. Is it just me, folks, or are you shaking your head at this response as well? I highly doubt they can truly "feel my frustration."

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: Customer Service Mail - Order Number:Re: Mending Fences by Star Ferris - Other
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 10:00:08 -0400 (EST)
From:
To:

Dear Bev Sninchak,

Thank you for your email.

We understand that you have not authorized Barnes and Noble to carry "Mending Fences." We feel your frustration. However, we are sorry if we cannot comment on this matter. We apologize for any inconvenience.

We provide answers to many questions posed by publishers and authors in the FAQs on our website:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/help/cds2.asp?PID=8148


If your question is not covered or you need more information, please write to us at publisherauthorinquiry@bn.com or call (732) 656-7285 .

We hope you find this information helpful.

Sincerely,

Mary Grace Santos
Customer Service Representative
Barnes & Noble
http://www.bn.com/

1-800-THE-BOOK

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Please excuse my ignorance on this matter, I take it you wrote the book. But what I am not understanding is that a writer has the ablity to say where their book can be sold after it has been published? (yes, I live under a rock :) ). Thank you in advance.

    -roo

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem. Yes, I wrote the book. Yes, writers in this day and age -- when they hold the rights to their own books -- can, in fact control where the books are displayed (the distribution channels). I have agreed to an exclusive agreement with Amazon (which I have the right to do) and all rights for the book have been reverted back to me as of this past year. So, yes, I have that option -- as do other writers. The face of publishing has changed in a dramatic way, and fortunately that means writers finally have more control over their work. :-) Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete