Sunday, March 3, 2019

On Eugenia Cooney's extended absence

It's been about a month since Eugenia Cooney posted. Is she still alive? Is she actually in treatment, as widely reported? No clue. I don't regularly follow a ton of YouTubers or Instagrammers, but I first became aware of Eugenia a couple years ago and I've noticed her deteriorating condition ever since.

When I was a young journalism student, one of my first published (and paid) articles in the Colorado Springs Sun was about Anorexia Nervosa. I interviewed a local mental health professional about the condition. Bullying a person or telling them, "Just eat!" doesn't work. It's not that simple, folks. It's called an eating disorder for a reason.

My previous research on Anorexia Nervosa and ongoing studies in psychology are two reasons why I ended up finding out more about Eugenia and hoping she would get treatment. Over the months, she's lost even more weight despite her already extreme appearance.

Eugenia seems like a sweet young woman. She's about my daughter's age. The optimist in me hopes she can somehow turn her situation around and come out of this to live a healthier life, both physically and mentally.

The realist in me understands how the odds are stacked against her at this point. The memory of Karen Carpenter keeps popping up in my mind. What sad circumstances indeed. 😭

No comments:

Post a Comment